Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jueves - 20.13

I didn't sleep in today, though I could have. I probably should have too, since I have not had a good, solid night's sleep since I left the US. I woke up at my regular time and did all my regular functions before leaving. I headed back to Gran Via to the bookstore. I figured it would open at nine, like many other stores. When I got there and saw the gate down, I read the sign. It didn't open until nine thirty. I walked around the area for about twenty five minutes. I actually walked to three other metro stops, all which were apparently very near Gran Via. Then I stood outside the door until it opened. I wasn't the only one either, there were several others there looking to get inside. I went in, got the book I wanted (Just Listen by Sarah Dessen), and exchanged my book in about ten minutes. Not bad I'd say. I did have to pay the difference between the books though, but it was only forty cents.

I then headed straight to campus for my conversation class. On the metro ride, which was about forty five minutes today, I went over my presentation for my art class, thinking I should probably be prepared. I arrived about a half hour early, as usual. So I went over my art presentation again, and then played on my phone. Class was normal today, not much to report. We had our first presentation today though. It was Rudy's. Since he missed the first two days of class he didn't know we were supposed to have pictures or a powerpoint or something. It was about Spanish film too, and a lot of it was from our class. I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty boring. The good news is he didn't seem to be too prepared (he wrote two of the directors' names wrong on the board, and missed 3 accent marks on three other names). I think I should be fine for my presentation. I'm still gonna practice it though.

After that I headed to the USAC office. I checked out The Others, which is the movie we're watching in class. I don't want to have to watch it the first time over a span of two days, nor with English subtitles when it's playing in Spanish, so I figured I'd watch it on my own. I also asked where the zero mile marker in Sol is, so I can see it before I leave. I now know why I couldn't find it, though I walked right past it at least twice. I was looking for a sign... turns out it's a sign, but in the cement. I walked right over it. So I'm going to go sometime to take a photo of it. Not today, since I got an email from the US Embassy warning me as an American citizen to be careful of the planned protests here in Madrid and in Barcelona today. It's nice to know they're looking out for us abroad. It makes me miss the US even more. I've heard too many horror stories about travelers who have somehow gotten roped into foreign issues, so I stayed in casa tonight! I even had a movie to watch!

Anyway, after that I headed to el Restaurante. I had a meeting with Cora again at one. My timing worked out pretty well, actually. Class ends at 12:15, and the restaurant doesn't open until 12:30, so the food doesn't get out until about 12:40 (Spanish time). I had the perfect amount of time to get the movie, talk to Susan, and actually as I walked down the hall Alvaro called me into his office to sign a paper saying that my classes were correct and the credits were correct, so I guess it's a good thing I went down there! I got there, and got my food. I had paella with seafood and chicken as my starter, then calamari and french fries for my main, and an apple which I took with me for dessert. I grabbed a bread roll too, but like usual I just ate the middle of it, leaving the hard shell. I was just about done when Cora got there, which worked well.

Then we talked an hour in Spanish. She said again that I'm very shy, and I didn't really know what to say to it. I know it's bad to be shy in a foreign country, especially when I'm trying to learn the language, but I just can't seem to overcome my shyness. She asked about Pilar and Monica, like what they do and what they're like. All I could really say was, they're nice. Cora told me to find it out, start a conversation, etc. Then we did the English part. I had the same story this time, which was exciting! It's not a cliff hanger! Well, it is because I didn't finish it, but she's going to bring it again the next time. She said she thinks I'll be able to finish it because I'm such a fast reader. I certainly hope so! We might meet twice next week just to be sure.

We ended around 3:15, and I had class at 4, so I headed straight to the Prado. This is for Jay, on my way to class, I passed a man in a Michigan Football t-shirt! It was kind of random, I thought, but it made me think of Jason. When I got to the museum I felt kind of like a regular student, because I wasn't super early, and I wasn't the first one there! It was a bit weird... but we started class on time and everything went well. I had my bag with me, since I had come from school, and you're only allowed to have drawstring bags in the Prado if you wear both straps on one shoulder, so it doesn't knock anything over inside the museum (not that there's anything to knock over anyway). No problem for me, since one of my straps broke on my way to the museum. I was wondering how long a cheap bag would last. It held up surprisingly well. Anyway, after the first student presentation I didn't have any worry about mine. It's not that she did a bad job or anything, she mostly just repeated what Patricia had said during class and a few little things about the painting. The second girl who presented was similar, but shorter, which was a bit odd since she had two paintings to talk about.

Patricia took us around to other paintings that we had seen in class and spoke a bit more about them too, so it was like a regular Prado visit as well, not just student presentations. When we got to the Black Paintings' room, she didn't talk about them right away, which I was glad for, since I had been preparing to say a bit about them. I gave my presentation, and since I had a lot of it memorized by this point, I think it was one of the better presentations I've ever given. I did try and speak too fast at one point and jumbled my words, but I didn't feel too nervous, which was good. Afterward Patricia said, 'wow, and now we know a lot more about Goya'. I was excited. After she spoke about two of the others we saw in class, she said we were done and could go home, and that the presentations were good, and that even she learned some new things, and she was looking at me as she said that, so I feel special. We walked out together, since she's short, but she walks at my pace! It's kind of funny to see her leading the class through the museum, because there's me, then a few paces back another girl who seems to always be alone, and then the rest of the class several paces behind her. Anyway, she said I did a very nice presentation and it was very professional. I felt extra special and said thanks!

After I got back on the metro, I headed to the apartment. I was so tired by this point, like I said earlier, I haven't had a single good night's sleep here in Spain, and it's definitely starting to take it's toll. Only about a week and a half more, then I'll be back home in my bed! When I got back I ate my apple as I organized the room a bit. Then once the apple was gone, I took care of it (and by that I mean put it in a shopping bag in one of my drawers haha), and put the movie in! It was good, I enjoyed watching it in English, actually. It was a weird plot line, but I kinda liked it. Nicole Kidman is a good actress. After that I got on Facebook, and mom was online! Yay! I chatted with her for a while. Then I had dinner.

It was a green, mushy soup today. It kind of tasted like pureed broccoli, but I don't think it was broccoli. It was actually pretty good. I ate a piece of bread with it, which was nice because it was a touch of sweet. Then I had breaded chicken breasts. I had meat twice today! That's gotta be a record haha. It was good. I had yogurt with brown cinnamon for dessert. It was yummy. I also told Pilar that I won't be here for dinner tomorrow because I'm going to the opera at the Royal Theater! I'm excited, I just need to get through classes first hehe. Then after dinner I showered. When I was putting on lotion, my poor skin just sucked it up! It's so warm here my skin dries out and I don't notice until I put on lotion. I should really do it more often... But other than that, that's about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment