Monday, July 2, 2012

Lunes - 23.44

Last night wasn't much fun, but it wasn't bad either. I didn't hear the couples come in, so that was good. However, the British couple left around 6, so they were up and about, and they weren't being too loud, but it woke me up. I think it also woke Julian up, because he was tossing and turning. He was on the bunk above me, so it was really hard to get back to sleep. Then our alarms went off and we got up. As usual, I was the first one ready, but I didn't mind. I went down and ate breakfast. It was more cocoa krispies and toast. I drank the milk (now chocolate) from the cereal. Then we checked out and got metro tickets to get to the bus station. We got there in time, though the bus was late.

Then a woman in front of us had a dog, which the driver wouldn't let on the bus because it's not allowed, but the woman had to be on the bus, so she was crying as she told the dog to go away. It was so heart breaking! A woman behind us suggested the dog ride with the luggage, so that was really cool that a complete stranger would have enough compassion to help the woman out, and that the bus driver would have enough compassion to let the dog ride on the bottom. When we got here to San Sebastian, we first got a map, and then walked straight to our hostel. It's so pretty here on the streets, so peaceful. We found out way no problem. Its small, but I absolutely love it! It's old so it has charm, and every room has a different door or set of doors. The bathrooms are comparable to a college apartment, but they're fine for a night. We were also able to check in about eight hours early, so that was really cool. Then we headed to buy drawstring bags for walking around and beach towels. On the way down the stairs, I saw a metal track for a chair to rise up. It was so cool! I've only ever seen them in movies!


Anyways, when we went out I bought a cheap bag, but not a towel. I was too cheap to spend 5 euros on a towel I would leave here. We stopped at a little bar on the way back and got tapas. I don't know the name of the one I got, but it was like a cold quiche on top of bread. It was really good, and cheap! Then Jennifer and I switched things into the drawstring bags. We then split up, since Alicia and Julian wanted to go to the beach right away and Jennifer and I wanted to wait until it was warmer. So we went to the park that Jennifer had marked.  On the way, we stopped in a gorgeous church. I got photos. Then we took pictures every few steps to the park, it was so pretty! We got tons of "senior" photos, where we look good. It's also so GREEN here. I felt like I was in a safari when we were walking up and down. There was a point where we could see the entire bay and the mountains in the background. Opposite of Barcelona where we could see the buildings and the sea in the distance. It was so gorgeous! We kept saying were so lucky to be here. It's unreal how pretty it is.

          
 (L: "Safari-ing"                             R: "Senior Photo")


There was a castle on the way to the top, and it was super cool. We got lots more photos haha. At the top was a Jesus statue. It was really big, and faced so that it overlooked the bay. It was amazing. On the way down we saw another little building overlooking the other beach area, the one known for more surfing since the waves are rougher. Here I took probably the best photo of my life. It's a pigeon landing on a building. Then we headed to the same bar as before to get lunch, big sandwiches. The saying "you get what you pay for" didn't apply... I got so much more than what I paid for! It was so cheap and delicious! It was a chorizo omelet inside a baguette. After that we went to a small park (very small). At this park there's a giant clock, a constellation map, and we saw swans! It was pretty cool. We're going back tomorrow because my camera died after lunch.

We changed at the hostel into bathing suits and met Alicia and Julian on the beach. We saw kayaks and decided to see how much they were. It was only ten euros for an hour! We got a two person one and headed out. The view was amazing, and Jennifer was excited because shes never kayaked before, and now she can say she did it in Spain. We split it with Julian and Alicia too, so we did a half hour and they did a half hour, so it was five for each of us. Then we hung out on the beach for a few hours. We came back to the hostel and showered while Julian went for a run. I got red today, but I think it's not gonna turn into a burn because I applied lotion generously and it's already fading.

I headed to yet again the same bar for my dinner. I got a tuna omelet sandwich. Julian wanted to go out for a big fancy dinner since its one of his last nights in Spain. Alicia and Jennifer were okay with that, and I am too, but I can't afford the 22 euro price range, so I ate my 3.50 euro sandwich. We went to some restaurant for them to eat seafood. Jennifer got a burger because she didn't want to pay a lot either. The waitress we got originally was really rude! When she took our order, she grabbed the menus from the table and nearly hit me in the eye, and she yanked the place mat from me when I said I wasn't eating anything. Then she was slamming chairs when she moved tables and slammed the pitcher onto our table. Were not sure what her deal was. Then we got a different waitress and all was good.

I did forget what it's like to be around a teenage boy though... He's always hungry! He eats a ton when we do eat, and he chews with his mouth open too, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. Plus he complains a lot, like when we first got here to San Sebastian he kept saying, "wait, we're not getting a taxi?" Haha I'm glad Jennifer and Alicia didn't want to pay for one either. We were all really tired from the sun today so we headed back to the hostel for the night. Jennifer and I are planning on walking around the city and browsing the book market we saw, and Julian and Alicia are going to the park. So until then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment