Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Miércoles - 22:39


On my way to the university this morning, I saw a woman wearing a t-shirt with English writing. I wondered if she knew what it meant, again. The reason it stood out to me so much was that she was an older woman, I’d say in or past her thirties. Her shirt said, “I <3 shoes, shopping, and boys”. I think at 20 I’ve outgrown the ability to wear that shirt. If it said “men”, it wouldn’t have been so strange. Just my thoughts.

Class today was normal; still interesting. We talked about Goya some more, and she touched a bit about the black paintings and my painting. Not enough to take everything away from what I was going to say though. So that’s good. Nothing else really happened though, just plain ole class. My second class of the day was decent as well. I told my jokes and to my surprise the class actually laughed at them. Even Lynette (after explaining them) laughed. One joke was “which is older, the sun or the moon? The moon, because she’s allowed to go out at night.” The other joke has to do more with the language. It was, “one fish asked to another fish, ‘what does your father do’? The friend replied ‘nada’.” The word for “he swims” in Spanish is ‘nada’. It was like a play on words. Everyone laughed really hard at that one, but personally, I only chuckled.

After that class, I almost forgot it was Wednesday, so I almost missed my film class. Today wasn’t too bad. Rudy presented over his movie, then I presented over mine, and then Sima presented over hers. From what I’m hearing, this particular director loves weird, complicated plot lines… they’re interesting I guess. My presentation went fine and I was able to answer a lot of questions, and Mar (the professor) elaborated on nearly everything, so I didn’t have to say much. Then at the end of class we started our next movie. It’s The Others, with Nicole Kidman. We only got about five minutes in though, because our professor does not know how to work a DVD player at all. First, she couldn’t figure out how to change the language settings. Second, she couldn’t figure out how to put the movie full screen. It was a bit ridiculous. We ended up watching the movie in English, with English subtitles, in case we “miss something”. Only two more days of that class and I’m done.

After that I headed back to the apartment. On the metro ride, I talked with Sima. She really doesn’t like the film class either, and thinks we get way too much work for a one credit class as well. So I’m not alone! When I got back to the apartment I spent about a half hour on email, Facebook, etc. I also ate a lunch of pretzels and Nutella. I really need to cut back on my Nutella because it’s already half gone. Then I headed out to go to a monastery. Sima texted me saying she wanted to come too, so I waited for her at the metro. While I was waiting, I was able to help a family with directions! Don’t get too excited though, they asked in English for a building I had been to at least four times already; The Royal Palace. They were excited I could help them, and I took a photo of them in front of the royal theater. It was nice to have some interaction.

When Sima got to the stop, we walked to the monastery. It was a short walk and we talked on the way. She’s not too bad when we’re not in class. When she’s not trying to impart wisdom on the rest of us, that is haha. When we got to the monastery, it was full. I was really sad, since I had actually wanted to see it, but I’ll just have to go back next week. We ended up just walking around and talking for about an hour. We did stop in to get ice cream though. I got two scoops, one of coconut, and one of pineapple, so it tasted like a piña colada. It was a nice, refreshing break from the heat. Then we headed into a bookstore because she ran out of books to read. This, for me, is always a bad idea. I LOVE bookstores.

We went to the English floor so she could pick out a book, then we headed to the youth/teen floor. We looked at comics for a while, and I contemplated buying a Snoopy book or a Garfield book. I didn’t, because the Snoopy book was large and expensive, and the Garfield one was black and white, and I thought if I was paying for it, I wanted it to be in color. I browsed books on the table for a bit, and actually found one. I was able to read the back cover (all of it) and understand it, so I figured that was a good sign. I bought it. I also bought a Sarah Dessen book – in Spanish!! I looked for a Dessen book in Spanish before I came here to Spain, but wasn’t able to find any, so I figured they weren’t translated. When I saw them in the store by chance, I was like, YES!

I bought This Lullaby, which I guess doesn’t have a translation, because the title in Spanish is A Song For You. Interesting. I think I’m going to go back tomorrow and switch it for Just Listen instead though. It’s another Sarah Dessen, but I couldn’t decide which to buy in the store, so I held them behind my back and had Sima pick. I think I want the other one now. Go figure. I told Sima that it was the most I’ve spent in one store since I’ve been in Spain. She said ‘good for you’, which implies that she has. I found that interesting. I guess I’m more hesitant to part with my money than other Americans here. Plus I apparently spend my money on books, when they buy clothes. I’m such a nerd J

After that we separated in the metro to head home. When I got back to the apartment, I got on Facebook hoping to talk to my mom. She wasn’t on. Then I got on email hoping to talk to Brandon. He was on. We talked for the rest of the night as he worked, and I wrote my film paper. I just need to touch it up before July 25th and I’m done. Now I need to focus on my art presentation for tomorrow, and then my conversation one for next Wednesday. Then I’ll be done! Well, except for exams.

Then I was called to dinner. It was yummy! It was the thing which I don’t know its name again. Well, that could be a lot of things. It’s the thing that’s like lasagna but with bread instead of noodles. It was delicious! It was served with the lettuce salad again, which I really love! Today was the perfect amount too, not too much, not too little. I didn’t leave hungry (which I never do here), and I didn’t leave feeling like I was gonna explode. It was nice.

After dinner I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and then continued chatting with Brandon, and got on Facebook. Momma was on! I chatted with her for a bit. I miss her. Then I signed off. I don’t have class until 11:30 tomorrow, so I’ll go through my presentation a few more times in my head before class, and then after as well. All will be good. I may start trying to read my new book too! We shall wait and see. Until then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment