Sunday, July 1, 2012

Domingo - 23.33

Today was a busy day. We woke up around 3 to get on a night bus to catch a shuttle for the airport. Luckily I was able to find everything just fine. I had to ask where the airport shuttle stop was, but I could understand the response, so it was cool. Then we checked in at the airport to have our visas checked and then we waited for a while. It was funny because Julian packed like a typical guy and girl at the same time. He packed a ton of clothes, but he didn't really fold them, so his bag was huge. He refolded it twice, and the Jennifer did it. It was funny. The plane ride was decent, the flight wasn't full so we weren't crammed and didn't have problems with luggage space. I fell asleep pretty quick.

When we got here, we took a taxi to the hostel from the airport. It was expensive, which wasn't too exciting, but we got to see a lot of Bilbao. It's so green and mountainous here, just like my professor said it would be! It's beautiful! There's a river that runs through it too. It's really peaceful and serene here, much more my style than Madrid, but I'm glad I picked Madrid. I like the change of scenery, and there's not much here, though it is beautiful. Anyway, we got to the hostel and was able to eat breakfast here (cereal and toast). Then we thought we could check in at noon, so we waited in the lobby on the second floor. Jennifer and I slept on bean bags on the floor, and Alicia and Julian slept on the couch. Then we woke up and found out we couldn't check in until two. So we headed out.

We walked to the Guggenheim Museum, which wasn't far. We took several photos along the way too. Its so pretty here, it feels like a different place! The Guggenheim was amazing! We got a student discount too, which was awesome. I loved the architecture of the building, so cool! I also have a new favorite artist! David Hockney. His pieces are amazing! I think he had a tenporary exhibit because there were posters around Bilbao with his name on it. First, he does really nice acrylic paintings. Second, he does his art on an iPad! Google it, they're my new favorite.

After the museum Jennfer and I walked down the water to find food and a park she wanted to see. We found a mall and headed inside. We didn't think it was open, because of the sign on the door, but we didn't think to check the door. Oops. We first saw snails everywhere. Bigger than life statues painted with wild colors and designs. We took photos with them. Then we found food on the second level. We ate at a place named Krunch. It was real good, we both got a chicken type sandwich. It was big, and delicious. I got a water too, and it was expensive! It was 1.40! I miss free water... It was good though and now we have water bottles to fill up. Alicia and Julian got there as we were done, so we waited for them. Julian filled his cup with water and then knocked it over, spilling water everywhere and onto the next table. We left after that.



We found Jennifer's park next, and took some great photos! I'm excited to post them. I also saw the most beautiful roses ever! The ones in Madrid are all dry and shriveled up, but the ones here were moist, lively, and perfect. They were a mix between pink, orange, peach, etc. I loved them. There were also white roses, my favorite flower. It was perfect. We also saw ducks at a pond place. They were so cute! There was one black and white one who was fishing, so he had his head in the water and his butt shaking in the air. He was my favorite. I named him Donald. There was also another one that looked right at us for photos. He was nice too.


After the park we headed to Basurtu, which Julian wanted to see because its the same as his last name. It was a hospital, and it was decked out! It had a mosaic roof which was cool, and it was gated all the way around. Very snazzy. We made our way to the old part of town next to walk around and take pictures. We stopped into a bakery type place and bought nummies. I bought a little lemon flavored mini Spanish cake, and a chocolate flavored one. They were delicious for .40 cents each. I wish I wouldnt have forgotten a picture of them, but I forgot, like usual. Then we headed back to the hostel to check in. We were given keys to room number 5, and we went in and there were only three beds left, with four of us. I went back to the desk to ask for sheets for the bed, and he realized he gave us keys to the wrong room. I was glad though because the room had a lot of guys that were drinking, so I didn't want to be with them. Now we're in a room with a British couple and another female our age. It's much better. After that we headed out.

The other three went to a bar to watch the soccer game, Spain versus Italy. I headed to find dinner, because I didn't want to watch the game. I walked down one street and it was like a courtyard. I was the only one on the side, so I was just looking at the shops, looking for food. There were a bunch of little kids running toward me, maybe about five to seven, and I figured they were just running and playing. Well when they passed me they all slapped my butt. I was so mad. They were lucky I'm in a foreign country and they're kids. I felt so violated, and by little kids!I left that area. I did find a supermarket where I bought a microwave meal. It was chicken paella with veggies. Super yummy. I came back and ate it in the little kitchen thing. Then I came back up and Skyped Brandon until about 11, when I figured I should go to sleep. I miss him. But it was good to see him again. Then I wrote this blog, and now I'm going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment