Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday - 7:30

So our plane was supposed to leave at 11:55. However, I didn't board until 12:05. There was a family in my row ok, so I had to have a stewardess ask them to move over so they were in the correct seat. it worked out though, because I somehow ended up in an aisle seat when I was supposed to be in the middle of a row, which was nice. The plane didn't end up leaving until 12:55. The planes were all named though, which I thought was cool. I saw one named Dalí when I was in the waiting area, and mine was named Gaudí. I liked that. The only time they "caused problems" was when the youngest didn't want to eat the airplane food. I don't blame her though, I think I was like that at that age too. It was meatballs or lasagna, and the lasagna had a white sauce, so I went with the meatballs. White sauce is usually too creamy for me. The meatballs weren't bad, it was kind of like meatballs in a lasagna, without the noodles, because the sauce was tomato sauce and cheese... Then it was served with some carrot shavings and what I think was some sort of dip? The best part was the dessert. It was the best dessert I think I've had in a long time. It was a sort of vanilla cake with a berry sauce in the middle. The top had crunchy things, like either seeds or some type of crust broken up? Not sure which, but it was amazing. They offered coffee or tea afterward too, so I had me some tea. Two cups, actually because they didn't offer more water.


The flight wasn't too bad. I did some people watching. The man in front of me, but on the other side of the aisle, was cranking out sudoku puzzles the entire time. He alternated between paper puzzles and puzzles on his e-reader, which I thought was interesting. The two women to my left, also on the other side of the aisle, read or slept the entire time. The three kids on my right were really well behaved, and I actually like them. The older girl kept trying to calm her sister down and during the food debacle, she kept saying it's not bad, just try it, etc. It made me miss my brothers, actually. The man in front of me had his seat down nearly the entire flight, but I didn't mind because I could put my tray down and lean my head against his seat. There was a woman a few rows ahead of me who kept standing up and staring around the plane. There were two women (about my age I think) one row in front of me, in front of the parents of the three kids next to me. They're not US citizens (I saw their passports when we were boarding) and they looked like they were reading some sort of guide books, so I think they may be either traveling or studying abroad here in the US? Just a guess. 

They also played a movie. I didn't catch the name, but it was about a salmon fishing project in the Yemen, during the Afghanistan war. It was really interesting, I expected it to be boring, but it actually wasn't. It had the redhead actress from The Devil Wears Prada in it, I think her name is Emily Blume? Anyway it was good and it passed the time. Then I got up to walk to the bathroom, more so to stretch my legs than to actually use the bathroom. I ran into a gentleman I chatted with as we waited to board (which was total chaos and unorganized) and we talked for a few minutes since I think everyone else had the same idea I did and was walking about in the (tiny) aisles. He asked how my Spanish is and I said its "intermediate". Haha right. He said it was probably better than I thought it was, which seems to be a reoccurring theme with people here. I should probably stop doubting myself then...

After that I dozed off a bit, but not much. Then they came around with dinner, which is lunch for me now, back to my normal times! It was just a ham sandwich with some cheese. It was served with blueberry yogurt (yum!) and an absolutely delicious muffin. I only got one cup of water again though. Sad day. They didn't offer tea or coffee either because we found turbulence.

Then I read a magazine in the seat pocket. There was an interesting article about how dolphins have saved human lives by protecting them from sharks, or bringing them to shore after a shark attack. Interesting. It made me think of Ryan. There was also an article about the best beaches in Spain. The first spread photo was San Sebastian. I was there! The island is also apparently names Isla de Santa Clara. Fun fact I don't need to look up now, and the bay is La Concha. In the magazine there was also a photo of Pompeii victims... I saw them too! It's SO amazing seeing these things in magazines and knowing you've been there in person. I am truly blessed.

There were no problems getting into the airport when we landed either. Actually when we got off the plane I was behind the family I say next to. The boy (whose name is Rory) was carrying his little sisters backpack for her. It made me think of Ryan holding my backpack for me on my first trip to Europe. I miss my family. Anyway, I found my terminal and then got through security without a hitch. Still got my potato chips! Yay! Now my loved ones can taste a little piece of Spain. I walked to a bathroom first and then made my first purchase in the US. Can you guess what it was? Water and Reeses. Yes. Then I walked around a bit to get my legs some exercise. I also checked Facebook. What are the odds of one of my sisters being in the same airport on the same day at the same hour? Apparently high! Jessi was heading home from Paris with her mom! We walked around the airport for about forty five minutes to an hour talking about our journeys. AWESOME way to pass the time! After that I walked around until I could find a working outlet to plug in my phone and then texted some more. Just two more hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment