Monday, July 9, 2012

Lunes - 21.43

 Well, I went to class today. A return to "normal life". I got to my art class at the same time, and sat down in my normal seat. The other students all came in on time as well, so we were all ready to go. Except, our professor was nowhere to be seen. It turns out that our class was moved to another building for the day since we don't have air conditioning in the classrooms anymore, and this new room "provides a better breeze". Other than that it went pretty well, I did the reading for my art class over the weekend and we went over a lot of the paintings that were in the reading.

My second class wasn't as enjoyable as it usually is, because everyone else in the class is friends (minus one woman that's just really loud). This ordinarily wouldn't be a bad thing, but since they're all comfortable talking with each other, they have no problem talking in class. I do. The windows in this class were open again too, and I will admit, I had goosebumps for most of the class. Shouldn't it seem warmer to me than to the native Spaniards? They make such a big deal about the air conditioning. My third class, the cinema one, was moved to the second building as well, to the same room as my art class was in. This class wasn't as bad as normal, mostly because I didn't pay attention. I did my homework for my conversation class; to draw a picture of a stereotypical Spaniard. I drew a dancer in a big flowy dress.

After classes, I went to the restaurant with people in my cinema class. It was kind of nice to be social again, especially after all the solitude of the weekend. I'm going to the archaeological museum with a group of people tomorrow too, which should be fun. There's supposed to be a cave replica! For lunch, I had a salad with pineapple, ham (of course), some type of seafood (I think crab?), and a sweet sauce. It was good. I also had a plate of seasoned rice with tiny chicken pieces. It also was good. I took an apple to go for dessert. Then I headed back to the apartment. I took a nap, and when I woke up, I got up and left. I headed to Teatro Real, because I got an email saying my ticket was ready and I could pick it up! I would have waited until later, but the seats are first come first served, so if I paid that much money for a ticket, I wanted a good seat.  This is the entrance to the ticket and box office areas. If the outside is like this, I'm excited to see the inside of the theater!

Then I headed back to the metro and went all the way up to Concha Espina, the metro stop near El Parque Berlin. I found out about this park a few days ago, and decided to go see it. It's a park in memorial of the Berlin Wall, and has three pieces of the actual wall. It was really cool to see, considering how much history surrounds the wall. I loved seeing the graffiti on the sections, it made it all seem more real, like I could see how the Germans reacted to the wall, instead of just reading about it. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but being there in person is priceless. This is one of the reasons why I love Madrid, it's got a little bit of everything! It's got Egyptian temples and pieces of the Berlin wall... where else am I ever going to see things like that in person??


Then I came back for the day. It was about 8 when I got back, and I uploaded the photos to Facebook, and started my blog post for the day. I didn't do any homework, but I have nothing due for tomorrow, so I'm not too worried about it. Getting out of the apartment and going to see the parks, the museums, and the cultural aspects of Madrid seems more important to me than studying the history of Spanish cinema or reading a thick book about art, especially when she recaps it all in class. I know I'm insanely lucky to be here, and I want to take advantage of everything I possibly can!

After playing around on the internet, I was called to dinner. It was interesting, for sure. It was a plate of peas with a few chorizo chunks, served with a slice of bread. It was good, but a bit disappointing. I ate alone today again, and after enjoying my yogurt dessert, I came back to my room. Now I'm going to go shower, because my feet are super disgusting! They need to be cleaned badly. Then I'm going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment