Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Martes - 22.47

Today was the last day of my mini vacation. Jennifer and I woke up at 8:00 and got ready quickly and quietly. It turns out that breakfast isn't open until ten, so we headed out with the intent to come back. We walked all the way to a building we had seen while we kayaked. On the way we stopped at a small garden to take photos. I saw some of the prettiest flowers in my life at this garden! They were orange, and kind of reminded me of Tiger Lilies, but I'm not sure if they were or not. Then we walked to the building, taking photos along the way. It turns out the building is actually a palace. We didn't' see anywhere we could go inside, but we could walk around outside, so we did. It was so green and peaceful! The view from the front of the building was absolutely gorgeous as well, since it faced over the bay and you could see everything! The palace is on a sort of hill, so it overlooks the buildings on both side too. It was amazing.


 Then we walked to the beach where we thought there were boats that went from the beach to the island, but we didn't see any. At this point we were really hungry, so we just headed back. When we got back, we ate a delicious breakfast. It wasn't anything special, I think we were just so hungry that it was good. I had a bowl of corn flake cereal, and it was so good! I think it was because of the milk though, it was closer to whole milk than skim milk. I realized a few days ago that the milk here at the apartment is skim milk, that's why it's so watery. It's also in a pink box, like the pink lids in the US. I found that interesting. I also ate a bread muffin thing with chocolate chips. It was really sugary and delicious.

Jennifer then asked what time we needed to check out, since none of us had thought to ask earlier. We were supposed to check out at 11:30. It was then about 10:45 and Alicia and Julian were gone. Jennifer and I tried to call them, but Julian's phone was disconnected and Alicia wasn't picking up. We decided to just walk around in the old town for a bit. The church in front of our hostel was open, so we walked into it. It was, like all other churches here in Europe, completely detailed and beautiful. It also smelled like a basement inside, which was comforting... well, to me at least. After a few quiet photos, we headed out to walk along the streets some more. We stopped into a little souvenir shop and I found my last gift for a loved one back in the US! I hope they like it!

We made our way to the water and looked around and took some more photos. We found out that the ferry boats that go to the island were actually much closer to our hostel than we thought, and were much cheaper than we thought at 3.80 round trip. We were pretty excited, and both wanted to do it, but it was getting close to 11:30. We headed back to the hostel because we didn't want to be late. Alicia and Julian still weren't there, so we packed their stuff up (I got the unfortunate task of putting Julian's socks - that he ran in - back into his bag) and left it outside the door so the worker could make the beds for the next guests, who were already there. He was also understanding when we said that we only had one set of keys available, and he didn't charge us for keeping the other set longer. Before we left, I made myself a piece of toast with strawberry jelly. I wanted to get as much free food as possible.

Then we headed over to the island on the ferry. I took some photos while we were on the boat, and enjoyed the view. It was still so pretty! I have a problem taking pictures, because everything is perfect, so I end up with way too many haha. We were only on the island for about twenty minutes because we had to catch our bus back to Bilbao pretty quick. We did see a ton of lizards though! We actually got to see one change colors on the rock in front of us, it was so cool! Jennifer and I had several near heart attacks when one would run out in front of us. We did not want to step on them. We also saw a small, super furry bird. It was so cute! I think it might have been a baby pigeon, or a baby seagull. I got photos haha. We saw the park where we went yesterday too. Everything was just so majestic and pretty! I got so many photos!

(L: Us on the Boat                           R: Me on the Island)


We headed back then, and on the boat there was a group of kids, a field trip I think. They were singing along with one of the songs that came on, and when it ended, they chanted "una vez más" (one more time). It was so cute! When we got off, we headed back to meet Julian and Alicia outside the hostel, and then walk back. Jennifer ended up stopping to get a sandwich for the road, Julian stopped to check his email to see if he has a place to stay tonight in Madrid, and Alicia went into a souvenir shop. I followed Jennifer and bought a tapa for lunch. It was good, and filling too. We then joined again and walked all the way to the bus stop. The bus ride was calm and quiet. Then when we got back to Bilbao we were able to take a bus to the airport for really cheap. It was only 1.35 euros! Jackpot! We then sat in the airport for a while waiting to get our passports checked. After we made it through security (without hiccup) I stopped into a store inside the airport. I love looking at them, I don't know why. I never buy anything, except this time. I bought a bag of cashews that's the same size as all the other bags in Madrid, but cheaper. I also bought a surprise for everyone back home! The cashews were delicious. I ate them there.

We bought metro tickets here in Madrid to get back to our apartments. Julian came with me so that he could get his suitcase from my room. I made him wait in the lobby again. It would have been fine though, since no one was home. I still didn't want to chance it though. After he left, I unpacked my bag and packed my new drawstring bag with everything I'll need for classes tomorrow. Then I grabbed clean clothes and took a shower. It was 9:20 when I got in, and no one was home. When I got out at 9:30, Pilar was here, and confused. Apparently she thought I didn't get back until tomorrow. Oops. She was nice enough to make me dinner though, which was really awesome. I had enough time to put lotion on, because in the light here at the apartment, my skin is red. It doesn't hurt, so I'm hoping if I continue to lotion it I'll be fine.

Then I ate dinner. It was a pasta salad with the mystery fruit again, a slice of bread, and yogurt for dessert. Then I came back to my room and sorted through the photos from this week that I took and uploaded. I'll put them on here and on Facebook tomorrow. Now I'm exhausted though, so I'm going to bed to prepare for classes tomorrow. I love you all and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment