Thursday, July 5, 2012

Jueves - 21.40

I got my metro pass today. I tried using my credit card again in the machine, but it wouldn't work again. I tried using the three digits on the back of the card, like mom suggested yesterday, but it wouldn't take only three numbers. So I used my debit card. Then I had to ask how to use the pass, since I'm used to having a ticket that feeds through the machines. This new one, all I need to do is set it on top of a green circle, and off I go! It's easier, but it was SO hard to buy!

Classes were good today, I like my art class, but it's just so long! I drank two bottles of water just to keep myself awake. The lights were dim too so that we could see the screen, it probably wasn't the best for keeping me awake either. But it's really interesting to her her talk about the pieces of art and the explanation behind the art. My second class was aawesome again today. We had two people add the class, which I wasn't too happy about, but I like them and it spreads the amount of work we need to do over five days instead of three, so I guess there's a positive to it. Plus I sit in the front row, so I can't see them. I feel like if I can't see them then maybe I'll be more apt to participate. I hope. 

After class I headed to the supermarket to buy my sandwich. Then I ate it as I made my way to the USAC office. I was able to talk with Susan in Spanish about my abono joven. I told her I was able to purchase it with my debit card, thought it wasn't ideal. She apologized again for all the problems I've been having with it, but it's not her fault. Then I hung around to meet Cora, my new intercambio. While I waited, I browsed the tourism books in the office. I looked at maps of Sevilla and Granada, both of which I plan to visit in my last weekend here in Spain. They look like good places to go. I'm excited to see them.

Then I met Cora. She's really nice, and it's easy for me to understand her when she talks. The way she explained it to me is we do two hours a week, one hour in Spanish, where I can ask her questions, go over vocabulary and grammar as we talk, etc. Then the second hour is in English. Today she had me read through a short story that she translated for her friend. It was really interesting for me to help, I really liked it. She had me look at the grammar, but more the terms and phrases used. She wanted it to sound more American, which I could help with. I liked it a lot, actually, especially since I've been considering work in the translating field, though I only know English and Spanish. I hope I helped her enough too, I did my best!

The story was interesting, it was about a woman who has nightmares about vicious creatures that roam the earth here in Spain, but the metro is safe. Every time she tries to leave the metro, she sees the creatures (who resemble humans, but in a grotesque form) who try to devour her. So she stays in the metro, begging for food while trying to warn other travelers about the dangers above. I liked it, it was my kind of story.

Before we said our goodbyes, we set our next meeting date; the same day and time next week. Now I know I have plenty of time to get lunch before meeting her. In my conversation class our professor had us do an exercise where we wrote down a good and bad trait about ourselves, among other things. My good trait was that I always arrive early. She seemed surprised by that, which here in Spain doesn't surprise me. Nothing is ever done at the advertised time. Even my professors are frequently late. I told her always. I am usually always early. My fault was that I'm shy, and she said that is a fault because to learn Spanish while being shy is very hard. I told her I know. It sucks.

After saying goodbye to Cora, I headed back to the apartment, using my new metro pass. It's much quicker to use, but I hope it stays easy, and I don't have more problems with it. I not once had a problem with my pass last month, so hopefully my good luck continues. On my way home, I did some "window shop" therapy. I stopped into Tiger again, and gazed longingly at the art supplies. I also came across toilet paper... but it's no ordinary toilet paper. It made me think of mom, Jason, and Ryan. Why? Because each square has a Sudoku puzzle on it! It was so cool! I'm considering buying some, but I don't know if it's actually meant to be used or not... I have a month to decide. Then I stopped into Himaya, the clothing store between the metro stop and my apartment. It advertised a 70% off sale in the window, but the cardigans that I want weren't on sale, so I left.

When I got back I got on my computer. I changed my desktop image from a photo from Barcelona to one from San Sebastian. I like it more now. Then I did email and Facebook. Cora said she doesn't have a Facebook because she doesn't like not having privacy. She doesn't like that people she doesn't know can know her contact information or see what she posts. She also said she worried about employers finding her, which I can understand because that's stressed so much in the schools in the States.

After that, I admit, I took a nap. I succumbed to my desire of sleep. But, when I woke up, I headed out to the metro. I went to Sol in search of a cookbook. I browsed many, many souvenir shops, but most didn't have any, and the ones that did all had the same one for the same price. I didn't want to pay that much. On my way back to the metro, I saw books in the window of El Corte Inglés, a HUGE department store chain, like Macy's or Sears, but the only one around. I could have stayed there for a really long time, much more than I did. There were three levels of books! It was amazing! I only had a short amount of time though, because I needed to get back in time for dinner.

I started on the first floor, didn't find any cookbooks, then went to the second floor. I didn't find any there. Of course the cookbooks were in the basement level. Oh well, I got to see lots of books. I looked at the cookbooks for a long time, and decided on two. I bought "100 Best Classic Tapas", and I also bought "Cocina España". I now have one in English, and one in Spanish (that was only 1.95). I'm excited to look through them and to make some when I'm in the states. I just hope I can manage to find the ingredients, especially in Houghton... I'll have to see about that.

I got back five minutes before 9:30, but we didn't eat until later. It was hot dogs. I was so excited! They've been sounding good for a while, so I was glad to be able to eat them. They also know how to eat them here... they put two dogs on one bun! It was a genius idea, I'm not sure why no one that I know in the States has thought of it yet. But it was delicious. I had yogurt for dessert, which I am increasingly loving more and more. It's so sweet and cool, it's like ice cream, but better! Haha. Now I'm probably going to browse through my cookbooks, then go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment