Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jueves - 20.30

So last night's dinner was not french fries. It was better. There were empañadas, fried calamari, and a mystery fried item. The empañadas were delicious, as usual. They're kinda sweet though, so I can only eat so many. The calamari were really good, but some were over cooked, so they were like chewing an uber hard rubber band. I was really proud of myself at dinner too. Why? Because I had a full conversation with Pilar for at least fifteen minutes. It started with me asking what the mystery fried item was. Turns out it's some kind of chicken, cheese and milk combination. It was also delicious, like the others. We then talked about food, Spain, traveling, history, parks, a decent amount of stuff. I understood it all too! Well, eventually. If there was something I didn't understand, she was really patient with me and repeated it, some times more than twice. I even volunteered full sentences when I wasn't asked a question. I didn't show her the photos though, because Maria Teresa came home and they were talking when I finished eating, and I didn't know what they were talking about, so I didn't want to interrupt.

This morning class was normal. We did a number game again, which I was actually decent at in comparison, which is surprising to me, because I don't know numbers very well. After class I just sat on a bench inside because it was too cold outside for me. I did my homework for tomorrow, so now I'm all set. After my second class, I met up with Mariam and our other friends, Grace, Alayna, and Marilyn. We went to the supermarket across the street so we could get sandwiches. Grace surprised us all by buying pastries and giving us all one. This is typical of her, I'm learning. She's so generous. She gave a homeless woman the shoes off her feet last week! Grace then walked home barefoot and had blisters from the hot sidewalks, but didn't complain much about it. She's incredible. Anyway, the pastries were delicious! She chose well. They were like a croissant in the way they were flaky and crispy, but the inside was more doughy and chewy. It tasted like honey, and they were sticky, so I think there was a honey coating. Then there was chocolate drizzle over the top. Yum!

After the supermarket, we made our way to a store that Alicia and Jennifer found a few days ago. They said everything was cheap, and it was. We all bought something, but I didn't spend nearly as much as anyone else. I only bought a shirt and a white belt. I kept my total at an acceptable limit for my budget. That is the last thing I am going to buy. I really mean it this time. I went home, and on the way back to the apartment, I stopped into Himaya, the store that I returned the jumper to. I browsed around for a while, and found an item that I loved! It was less than the jumper had been too, so I was able to get a bracelet with it. It's a skirt, but it could also be worn as a shirt. 

 (I promise I'm wearing shorts!)

Then I had enough time to drop off my bags at the apartment, grab my credit card and ID, and leave to meet up with Alicia and Jennifer to buy bus tickets for the weekend we're in the Basque country. I thought I would be really late, since they left class at 4:05, and that's the time I left my apartment, so I was hurrying through the metro stations and such. I got there at 4:25, which wasn't too bad, but they weren't there. I hoped I didn't miss them, so I waited around, just to make sure. At 4:55 they arrived. I was relieved that I didn't miss them, but annoyed that I had felt so rushed. We weren't even able to buy the tickets, because there was a problem with a missing station. So we're going to try and buy them online. We did stop into the metro office where I tried to get my youth metro pass for July. Alicia and Jennifer are both staying for both sessions too, so they wanted to see if they could get theirs. They did, with no problem. I, of course, was frustrated, but there were different women working who understood us better. I was able to get mine too, with my passport instead of my receipt that I was told to bring. So I was a happy camper. Now I don't need to go back and try and get it again. I also was able to speak to the woman in all Spanish. Granted, it probably wasn't correct, but she got my point.

When I got home right after that, I changed into clothes to go running again. I then stopped to do some emails and correspond details for tonight over Facebook, and then headed out. I went to Retiro park again, and it was just as amazing this time. It was super sunny today, but there was a decent breeze, and I stayed in the shade of the trees for most of my run. I was able to do 10 minutes no problem today, which made me happy. The ab work was just as easy as last time. The push-ups were harder because the muscle between my shoulders and my chest were so sore! I was able to do 25 good ones again though, so I was happy. I then did my five minute cool down and headed back to the apartment.

I stopped into the fruit store near my apartment before I got back to the apartment before I had changed to go running and bought an apple for after my run. I also bought three semi-ripe bananas (so they'll last longer). Fruit is so CHEAP here compared the US! For my 3 bananas it was only 50 cents! My apple was at 41, but  it's still a nice price. So I ate my apple when I got back, and was able to chat with Brandon on email! It was really exciting to get to chat with him. Then I had to say goodbye because my apple was down to the core and I needed a shower. Now I'm waiting for dinner, hoping that it'll be good.

After dinner, I'm going to head straight to the metro stop to met up with my group, and Karina!! We're going to a club she suggested that has live bands tonight. I'm excited to go because they'll be singing in Spanish. As weird as it is, about 90% of the songs I hear here are in English, and are really popular in the US, so I know them all. I wasn't expecting that at all when I came here. So I feel like tonight will be a more authentic experience. Plus Karina will be there, so I can practice some more Spanish! I think I get to meet her friends too tonight. So I'm really excited for that. I hope I can get there by ten though, I might be the one who's late, which I really don't like, but I wanted to be able to save some money and eat dinner here instead of going out. So hopefully it's not too late to meet up with everyone.

I have nothing planned for tomorrow either, so I'm thinking I might do some homework. I have a final paper due for my culture class, so I might at least start that. It's not due until the last day, the day of the exam, but I'd prefer to do it now rather than later. I'm sure Jorge will give us our third compositions back too, so I'll have that to revise as well. So I think tomorrow will be a studious day, which I'm okay with since I've done something every day/night this week! It's been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment