Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sábado - 10.36


For the pool party, we ended up meeting up at the Atocha metro stop, and then rode to the Atocha Renfe together, which is where we were supposed to be. We got in line and bought the tickets because we weren't sure which to get from the machine. Olga (Alicia's intercambio)'s directions on the Facebook message to Alicia were pretty confusing. It made sense though once we got to the platform.

The ride was about an hour out of the heart of Madrid. It was pretty fun, we were the only four in our car at one point, so that was pretty cool. When we got out of the train station, Olga and her friends were waiting for us. They took us to the pool in cars! It was kind of exciting to be in a normal car with someone my age (who speaks English) again. I was in the back with Julian, and Jennifer had taken the front seat. They still drive completely crazy, even if they're not a taxi driver. The pool was in Olga's backyard and it was so pretty! She ahd a covered patio with stairs leading to the side of the house and to the pool. The pool was inground and it had lights all the way around it. There were also palm trees! One on each side of the stairs to get in. It felt really good to be able to swim in a pool again. 

The sun felt real nice when we got out too. I hope I got a little tan at least. We all used my sunscreen too, so none of us should have gotten too burnt. I didn't. Anyway, there were three bags of chips that we all ate. The first was ham flavored chips, and they were really good! I wasn't expecting to like them much, but they were my fave. The second bag was Tex-Mex like Doritos. The third was just regular chips. Then a bit later, we ate barbecue! It was really good! The first thing we had was strips of pork, like Bacon, but fattier and thicker. It was real good, I had two pieces. Then we got ribs, which were pretty good too. I only had one of those. After that we got chorizo and some other type of sausage that they wouldn't tell us what it was. We were all okay with that, sometimes it's better not knowing. It wasn't too good in my opinion, but I don't know how to describe the taste. Everyone else really liked it though. It turns out it was coagulated pigs blood. So now I can say I've eaten pigs blood. But the last meat was more ribs, cooked more slowly this time and seasoned. Aldo, the one who cooked it all, said it was the best. I only had one because I was full, but wanted to try it. It was delicious!! I was glad I tried some. 

After the meat was mostly done cooking, Ami, one of the guys who started the grill, came over and wiped his hands on Jennifer's shoulders, my back, Alicia's arms, and Julian's arms. It was a lot of fun. Later he wiped some on our faces, but none of us really cared. I wiped my back off with a napkin and Aldo laughed at me as said that's what the pool was for. By that time, the sun was down and I was wiping off my back so I could put my tank top back on because I was getting cool, so I wasn't going in the water.

Before, during, and after we talked about Spain and America, like sports, politics, gay marriage (in honor of gay pride today), and where they're all from as well as where we're all from. I was so glad I took my culture and civilization class because I knew a lot more about Spain's politics and history than any of the other Americans did. It turns out that the younger generations don't really like the Royal family because they don't do anything but still get paid. I asked what the younger generations think of Adolfo Suarez, who is "Spain's Democracy Hero". He was the president appointed by the King, and then was the first elected president. He set up the senate and parliament in Spain, as well as allowed for autonomous communities within Spain, like the Basque Country. Ami, one of the other guys, said they pretty much only think what they're parents think about him, since he's been out of office for years now. It was interesting. 

There were ten of us there total, the four of us (Alicia, Jennifer, Julian and I), four guys, and two girls. One of the girls was Olga, and the other was Kata. It was a lot of fun, I'm SO glad I got the invite! It turns out it was Ami's birthday too, so they had a cake for him and we sang Happy Birthday (in English) to him. It was really good, like some sort of cream and then a layer of what seemed like stiff pudding? I don't know what it was called. Alicia put some of the whipped cream on Ami's nose and we all laughed, causing one of the guys to come put some on the rest of our faces. I wiped that off pretty quick. It was a bit of a night of corruption though. Rolling cigarettes is pretty popular here in Spain (since nearly everyone smokes), and Alicia wanted to try it, so Ami let her roll one. It was pretty interesting to watch. Then she smoked it. They convinced Julian (it didn't take much convincing) to roll one too, and then he smoked that one. I'm pretty sure it's the first time he smoked. Jennifer tried Alicia's, and when it was passed to me I shook my head. That's one thing I will NOT try here in Spain. There was also Hookah, which Jennifer and Julian tried for the first time. I passed on that again, not wanting to try it.

Back in Barcelona we had passed a Hookah bar and everyone except Brendan and I wanted to go in, but without us to split the cost it as too much for the girls. So once I again I passed on the tobacco. After a bit longer, Olga announced that it was 8 euros per person, which came as a shock to us Americans, since we hadn't known we were going to be asked for money. It was a lot of food and drinks though, and it was all pretty good, so we didn't mind. It was sad to part with money again though.

They wanted to go to a park next so the neighbors didn't get too upset with the volume level. It was midnight by this point, so we were all like sure, whatever. Back into the cars. The park was only a short distance away. For me, it was freezing! I was only in my orange and white striped tank top and shorts, which would have been fine for any of the other nights lately. We sat on a skate park, which was pretty cool since it was all graffiti-ed and pretty. Then we got kicked out because the group was being too loud (I was pretty tired by this point and had fallen asleep on my knee when the cops came over). We moved to the entrance for a bit, and then we headed to a bar.

I was really tired by this point, and ended up dozing off on a small stage inside the bar. It was warmer, which was good. I woke up when someone tapped my shoulder. It was an old man (balding) who asked if I wanted to dance. I wondered what made him think I'd want to dance when I wasn't dancing with my friends. I shook my head though, and he walked away without a problem. Later he danced in the middle of the group I came with, and it was pretty funny to watch him. He had some pretty good moves. Alicia had a lot to drink by this point, and ended up making out with two of the guys from our group, Ami and Guillermo. I understood what Karina had said about many couples breaking up when one of the two went abroad, since Alicia has a boyfriend. I'm too loyal to do that someone though, nor would I want to. It made me miss Brandon again though. 

Kata came up to me and said she was going back to Madrid, and asked if I wanted a ride. I said yes, please! We talked nearly the entire ride back. She's really nice. Originally she's from Malaga, south of Madrid. She moved to Madrid 5 years ago when she was 19 and said she's loved Madrid ever since. I found out she's also a model when I asked her if she had traveled to many parts of Spain. Turns out she had for various jobs. She also has been to Sevilla and Granada, and recommends that I try to go to both. I just need to find someone to go with me! She also knew exactly where I live, because I told her Pacifico at first, and she said she used to live at that stop. Then I told her my street name and said it was right across from the church, and she knew where that was too! Her  boyfriend's family lives very close to the church as well. Plus she was going to Kapital, so I was literally on the way for her, which made me feel better. It was like getting a taxi ride, but way better because it was free, and she was more my age and spoke English. It was awesome. I didn't get to bed until about 4 though, making it a close second to the latest night I've had here.

This morning I woke up and ate my breakfast in the quiet apartment (no one else is awake). Then I came back to write this. The plan for later in the day is to meet up (the four of us again) and head to Chueca, the gay neighborhood of Madrid, to watch the pride festivities. I'm debating about whether I want to bring my camera or not. I'm not sure how busy it'll be. But I'll let you know if I do decide to bring it! That was my very fun, very late, eventful night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment