Friday, June 29, 2012

Viernes - 10.00

Last night was a lot of fun. I met up with Alicia, Jennifer, and Julian at Sol, the big meeting hub. We walked to a Heineken bar that was nearby so they could get some drinks before we went to the club. I told them I didn't have any money, which was true. All I had was a 5 and I was planning on using it to get home if I didn't leave by 1:30. But it was cool, the deal was 6 beers for 5 euros, so they each got two, and Jennifer let me have her second one so I didn't feel too left out. Then Alicia bought us a round of shots because they were only one euro each. They were delicious. It was half kiwi juice, so it was lime green too! After the bar we headed to the metro to head to el Kapital, the club everyone's been talking about where women are free every Thursday.

Well, when we were crossing the street, Jennifer and I got confused, because we heard people speaking English behind us, but Alicia and Julian were in front of us. Here we met Morgan and Marissa, two girls studying abroad from the States through the ISC study abroad program. Marissa is actually from Michigan! She goes to U of M too, so I even knew where. By the time we crossed the street and walked in the door of Kapital, we found out there was a special event last night, so women weren't free, and it was 20 euros to get in, male or female. We left. The group made a decision to head to Joy, because it's free entry until 1:30. I was prepared to say goodbye at the metro station, because Joy is way farther away from my apartment than Kapital and I didn't want to have to pay for a taxi to get home. It turns out though that Morgan and Marissa both live at my stop! So we decided to split a taxi ride home. Marissa's flight left at 7 am to return to the States, and her car was picking her up at 3 am, so she wanted to leave Joy around 2:30 at the latest. I said that was fine for me because that's all I can really handle. 

By this point any idea of meeting up with the other USAC people (which had been the original plan) was out the window. It was a lot of fun with just us though, I enjoyed it better than the first time. I was actually enjoying myself and dancing without caring what anyone else thought. For me, that's rare. The club was less crowded too since it was a Thursday instead of a Saturday. They still only played English music instead of Spanish, but they did play one Spanish song just before I headed out. We were able to get a taxi and the ride home wasn't awkward with them, which was surprising. I think all in all, I was a much more outgoing person last night. I was talking to and interacting with them as well as my group, and I was comfortable enough to photo-bomb a photo of Alicia and Jennifer. It was a good night.

Marissa and Morgan aren't the type of people I'm normally attracted to, so if they had been on the USAC program I probably wouldn't have ever talked to them. Because we didn't know each other, though, I was able to essentially "be a different person". They complained about Joy the entire walk from Joy to the taxi, where I didn't say much, because while I'm not necessarily a fan of Joy, I had a lot of fun with my friends. They kept saying how it was lame and the worst Thursday night since they've been in Madrid. This makes me think they're really big partiers, because they've been to Kapital every Thursday since they got here. But I didn't judge, and had a pretty good time. I also heard that someone told Morgan that Pacífico is a sketchy part of Madrid at night. This was interesting to hear. I've never had any problems at night (granted it's not like I go out much), and it seems to be an "older" neighborhood as far as the residents. So I wondered if that was a local who told her that or an American friend. Oh well, I feel safe here. When I was walking home I literally saw three people. One was driving by, and the other two were a couple sitting in a parked car. 

Overall it was a fun night, and I got invited to lunch today with Jennifer and Alicia too! Alicia wants to try fried eggs and French fries, which is apparently a thing here, so we're all okay with that. I don't know what time yet, but probably around one, before the pool party, which I'm so excited for! So until later, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment