Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Miércoles - 20.17

So today I woke up and got to school today with enough time to read my book and go over my note cards (for my mid-term Friday) several times. I did get to campus late enough to have the door to my classroom open. I prefer to sit in the classroom rather than the bench in the hallway, because I feel like the cleaning ladies don't like me to sit there. I would sit outside, and I tried today, but it's so cold! I don't like shivering in my cardigan. But it all worked out today. Class was decent, when we were going over the homework, he called on me for one of the only questions I had answered correctly, how ironic. The group work today was awful, in my opinion. We were told to rewrite a classic story, like Cinderella, or the 3 Little Pigs, or Little Red Riding Hood, etc. It would have been awesome, except that it was group work. I didn't contribute much to the story.

The break between classes I went and sat outside in the sun. It was still pretty chilly with the breeze, so I kept my sweater on, but there were warm patches. I got to class about twenty minutes early, because I ran out of things to do outside. So I sat in the classroom and read through some papers. Then class went okay. I try not to be too judgmental of the girl who sits next to me, but I really am not a fan of hers. If she doesn't know the answer to a question, you know, because when she does know she acts like she's the only one in the class that does and that she must share her knowledge by teaching the rest of us. When you add that onto her annoying manner of speech and articulation, it's just a bad combination. The rest of the people in the class that I get paired with are cool though. However, there's two girls on the other side of the room that I'm slowly starting to dislike.

Taylor, who I've mentioned before, is one of them. There was a video posted of her on Facebook of her trying to run up a "down" escalator in the metro. It's seeing things like that video that help make me see how other countries can think so poorly of American teenagers. I had the same thought as when I saw the video as when her and her friends joined a small group of us for after dinner tapas last week. Two of the girls that joined us, Taylor and Christina (who is the second girl in my class), were very drunk. Taylor couldn't even sit in her chair without wobbling over. My thought was this: I don't want to be associated with her. Yesterday in class we had to tell everyone about the news article we read. It's part of our homework. The prof started with my half of the classroom, and after about two or three of us summarized ours, Taylor and Christina couldn't stop laughing. The prof even told them to leave the room until they weren't laughing. They just kept saying, "sorry" and laughing more. Apparently it's because our articles were so much more "serious" than theirs. Whatever. They're slowly starting to leave a bad impression on me.

After class I had lunch in the restaurant as a celebration to being able to eat full meals again. I had bean soup (not nearly as good as Pilar's), fish, bread, and french fries. It was pretty good. The fish was salty, which made it delicious! It's the first time I've been able to eat everything on my tray. Well, minus the apple, which I took with me and ate later. Then I came home, and took a nap. When I woke up from my nap, I went to the bathroom and shaved my legs. It was exciting. Then I headed back to the same metro stop where I bought my books and my orange dress. On the way to the metro, I stopped into a little farmacy/cleaning supplies/make-up store. I found new mascara (for cheaper than in the US), and a foot paddle. I'm SO excited because now my feet don't have to feel like sandpaper!!

After I got off the metro, I went to the same school supply store as earlier and bought a folder for my class papers, because having to put them all in the back of my textbook annoys me. Then I headed to the clothing store. I still really like a lot of their stuff, but a lot of it is small, and doesn't look quite as cute on me. I did like a sweater they had, and it would be wonderful for the mornings here, as well as in Houghton, but I wasn't sure about the fit. It was designed to be tight on the sleeves and at the waist, but loose at the shoulders and chest. I didn't know how I felt about it. My philosophy when it comes to clothes shopping is if I don't love it, I don't buy it. So I walked away empty handed. I came back to the apartment and did some emails, chatted with Brandon (thanks), and now I'm recording my thoughts for the day.

Tomorrow I may go to the Reina Sofia, as well as scour grocery stores to see if I can find some peanut butter...

1 comment:

  1. You might need to go to the tourist areas for peanut butter. Europe is not big on the southern legume! Good luck with the hunt.

    ReplyDelete